Easter Seals Workplace Readiness Mentorship Program Scholarship
Easter Seals is pleased to partner with Sun Life to offer one scholarship worth $2,000 to be awarded to a student in Newfoundland and Labrador currently enrolled in the Winter 2024 semester or who started post-secondary education in Fall 2023.
Purpose and Objective
The scholarship is intended for any person with a physical disability who is currently enrolled in or pursuing post-secondary education. The objective of the scholarship is to help reduce financial barriers for the student as they progress and work towards completing their post-secondary education and assist them in preparing for a successful transition into the workforce.
The scholarship recipient must also agree to participate in a six-month mentorship program from Jan to end of June 2024, where they will be paired with a volunteer mentor who can provide encouragement, guidance, and support for their studies, and in preparing for summer jobs and/or transition to the labour force after graduation. We will require students to do a survey (May 2024) and testimonials and photos will be required by June 2024.
The scholarship recipient must be a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador
Scholarship candidates will be reviewed, and qualified and the successful candidate(s) will be selected by a selection committee of Easter Seals Newfoundland and Labrador Decisions are final. Candidates will be given consideration based on the following criteria:
• A resident of Newfoundland and Labrador
• Have a disability.
• Currently attending or will be attending post-secondary education (college, university,
Supporting documentation for application:
The following documentation must be submitted with your completed application form:
• A typed, one-page letter from you in which you have outlined why you should be selected for
the award. You may include information on scholastic achievement, motivation, initiative, extracurricular activities, challenges faced and overcome, financial need, and/or any other relevant information that you think would strengthen your application.
• Please indicate in your letter if you are a current or previously registered participant/client in a program offered by Easter Seals Newfoundland and Labrador. If you are not a current or previously registered participant/client in an Easter Seals Newfoundland and Labrador, please include a document/letter from a medical physician, therapist or social worker outlining your disability.
• Documentation confirming that you are currently enrolled in the Winter 2024 semester and
started post-secondary education in the Fall 2023/Winter 2024 semester.
The successful recipient will be expected to:
• Participate in a 6-month mentorship program (tentatively starting Jan 2024 to end of June
2024). Recipient will convene with the volunteer mentor designated to them at least once a
month, or more if mutually agreed upon between the recipient and mentor.
• Complete a brief survey toward the end of the 6-month mentorship to help assess the value and impact of the mentorship program
The application form and all supporting documentation must be received by December 30th
, 2023 to:firstname.lastname@example.org
Please remember to review the application form to ensure all information and supporting
letters/documentation is provided. Ensure you keep a copy of the completed form for your files.
If you have any questions, please contact Petra Chaffey – Johnson. email@example.com